First Round Results: 2010 NFL Draft Top Picks – Selections
It’s that time of year again as all NFL fans sit down to see which young talents will come to their team at the NFL draft. Some teams like the St. Louis Rams need all the help they can get while other rosters like the Baltimore Ravens are full to the brim with talent and will only get better.
Throughout the draft, we will have live up to date analysis on each pick and how that player helps their team. Since we at fantasy-info.com write mostly on fantasy football, we will have a little fantasy info throughout different selections as well.
1. St. Louis Rams : QB Sam Bradford- The Rams got the player they needed as they have no legit quarterback and now they have a player that can lead this team. Hopefully they can add a young receiver with one of their next picks. This move should help Donnie Avery and Steven Jackson but Bradford will need his offensive line to play well to keep him on the field.
2. Detroit Lions: DT Ndamukong Suh – Big move for the Lions as they now have a corner stone defensive player with Suh. With Corey Williams KVB and Suh the Lions now have a very solid defensive front line.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DT Gerald McCoy – The Buccaneers needed to upgrade on defense and they have a good start at the draft with defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. While McCoy will help they still have a lot of work to do on defense to rebuild on defense.
4. Washington Redskins – OT Trent Williams – The Redskins needed a offensive lineman and they took one of the best in this years draft with Trent Williams. This was a small surprise to see Williams go as the top lineman but they still got a need player.
5. Kansas City Chiefs – Safety Eric Berry – This team needs much help on defense and getting Berry helps them against the pass and run. Not only that but he can make plays to get the football back into the offenses hands.
6. Seattle Seahawks- OT Russell Okung – Matt Hasselbeck desperately needed an upgrade on the offensive line. The Seahawks probably got the best lineman in the draft as the Redskins went with Williams over Okung. Now, lets see what the Seahawks do with their second pick in a few selections.
7. Cleveland Browns – CB Joe Haden – The Browns are building for defense first. While I disagree with the trading away Wimbley and Williams, getting Joe is a solid addition. Still, this team has a long way to go.
8. Oakland Raiders: LB Rolando McClain: The Raiders have been aggressive on adding defense this offseason and McClain is another strong addition from Alabama. This was a minor surprise but then again it’s the Raiders. Look for McClain to be a very good addition to the Raiders.
9. Buffalo Bills: RB CJ Spiller – With Marshawn Lynch all but gone from the team, the Bills needed some offensive talent to score and move the football. Now they have an electric player in Spiller.
10. Jacksonville Jaguars – D Tyson Alualu: This is a surprise for the player they took but not a surprise for the area they selected. The Jaguars need players that can rush the passer.
11. San Francisco 49ers: OT Anthony Davis: The 49ers trade up and get a great offensive lineman and acquire a great need player. This is a big move for the 49ers as they upgrade on the line.
12. San Diego Chargers: RB Ryan Mathews: Fantasy football owners watchout as Ryan Mathews is the next feature running back for their franchise. Mathews is a great pick for the Chargers as they traded up to the Dolphins pick to get him.
13. Philadelphia Eagles: DE Brandon Graham: This was a minor surprise as they could of had safety Earl Thomas but instead they get stronger on the front line. Graham should help right away in a rotation.
14. Seattle Seahawks: S Earl Thomas: Great move for the Seahawks as they already added a solid offensive lineman and now they have a great secondary, impact player.
15. New York Giants -DE Jason Pierre-Paul: The Giants were looking for McClain at linebacker but the Raiders took him at eight. Paul should be a great addition to this Giants defense.
16. Tennessee Titans: DE Derrick Morgan: The Titans needed more defensive help and after losing KVB to free agency, this is a good get back. Hopefully he can get to the quarterback.
17. San Francisco 49ers: OG Mike Iupati – OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Anthony Davis and Iupati on the offensive line. Wow, this is a great move and it completely solidifies the oline.
18. Pittsburgh Steelers: C Maurkice Pouncey – The Steelers need to get back to Steelers football and with this pick they did.
19. Atlanta Falcons – LB Sean Weatherspoon – The Falcons defense got an up grade that they needed as Weatherspoon will help them in the run and pass.
20. Houston Texans: CB Kareem Jackson – The Texans needed help in the secondary after losing Daunta Robinson. Jackson will help but the loss of Robinson will hurt.
21. Cincinnati Bengals: TE Jermaine Gresham – Carson Palmer needed another target in the passing game and Gresham fills that need. Now with Gresham, Ochocinco and Bryant, Palmer should be a decent fantasy option again.
22. Denver Broncos: WR Demaryius Thomas – The Broncos added a talented receiver and took him before Dez Bryant was off the boards. I’m sure the Broncos didn’t want a potential problem player after trading away Brandon Marshall.
23. Green Bay Packers: OT Bryan Bulaga – This was a great move for the future as they need to keep Rodgers healthy for a long time. This gives the Packers nice depth for now and a great talent for the future.
24. Dallas Cowboys: WR Dez Bryant – With Roy Williams being such a flop the Cowboys needed another great talent at receiver. Bryant fits the bill and will make for a great fit for Tony Romo.
25. Denver Broncos: QB Tim Tebow: This is a surprising move as the Broncos trade up and get Tebow and pass on Jimmy Clausen.
26. Arizona Cardinals: DT Dan Williams – This is a great move for the Cardinals as they needed a true three – four nose tackle. This move will help make up for some of the players they have lost on defense this offseason.
27. New England Patriots: CB Devin McCourty – The Patriots needed an upgrade or five on defense as they have lost great players over the past year. Devin will help add another solid talent to a now dangerous secondary.
28. Miami Dolphins: DT Jared Odrick – With Jason Ferguson out for the first half of the season, this team needed more inside help on the defensive line. This is a good pick for the Dolphins.
29. New York Jets – CB Kyle Wilson: What a great move to get the kid from Boise State. If Cromartie doesn’t workout who cares now that they have Wilson. The Jets now have the best defense in football.
30. Detroit Lions: RB Jahvid Best – The Lions needed a running back as Kevin Smith is recovering from a late season torn acl injury. Best will make for a very good compliment to Stafford and the passing game. Best, Spiller and Mathews are all starters coming into the 2010 season and will be active fantasy players.
31. Indianapolis Colts: DE Jerry Hughes – This is a great move as it add depth to the pass rush with Freeney and Mathis. Look for the Colts to continue to apply pressure all game long.
32. New Orleans Saints: CB Patrick Robinson – The Saints needed to add more defense as they are continuing to grow that area. Hopefully they can get Sharper back and make another strong year in the turn over game.